When Danny MacKay joined us on the show, he talked about the idea of being Christ’s Ambassadors coming out of this amazing passage in 2 Corinthians 5:20 (and you should also really go and look up the whole chapter because it’s awesome). “We are therefore Christ’s ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ’s behalf: Be reconciled to God.”
Because I work in Creative Communications with things like marketing, social media, promotion, and more, the place I most typically hear the word “ambassador” is in the context of a “Brand Ambassador”.
Basically, these people have huge influences on Instagram, YouTube and other platforms, that leads brands to want to have them represent their product. They get free products, trips, and events because of being ambassadors. For many young people aspiring to make a career out of things like Vlogging on YouTube, being a brand ambassador is a key way they’d make an income.
So I’d like to reflect on what makes a good Brand Ambassador (something we’re likely all quite familiar with from people like the Kardashians) and what insights we can glean that also can help us be Christ’s Ambassadors.
- Represent the brand’s personality- just like if representing a product, the ambassador has to “match” what they are selling. If the product is fun and vibrant, the ambassador can’t be sad and mopey. When bringing the Good News of Jesus- we do so with love and joy so that people might actually believe it’s good news!
- An ability to grow relationships- you can’t get the word out about a new sports drink if you aren’t willing to talk to people. An ambassador must love people, take risks to get to know them, and build trusting relationships so that what you say about what you’re representing can have integrity
- Passion- if you don’t love the product, why would anyone else? Ambassadors share with enthusiasm the thing that has captured their heart, which is why they want to offer it to others
- Leadership- ambassadors go first, they innovate and try new things, they invite others to follow along behind them
- Love to use the product/service- the best ambassadors are those who genuinely have been changed, impacted, and made better by the product they represent. Christ’s ambassadors must love Christ and live that out in their changed life, or it will be obvious to others that it is not as impactful as your words may say.
What else would you add to this list for a Brand (or Christ) Ambassador? My prayer for you today is you would seek to represent Jesus above all other names, so that many would come to know the great love of God!